Friday, June 24, 2022

Myself, My Work, My God, and My Environment: Personal Reflection of My Existence

RACQUEL ISIDORA D. GUZMAN


This is my first attempt to deconstruct my inner self. I will decode the phenomenon as “Myself, My Work, My God, and My Environment.”

I am aware of the many factors which influence a person’s personality. The age-long debate on nature versus nurture is one way of determining or understanding the nature of a person. While it is true that my family background has something to do with the way I behave and socialize with anyone else, peer influence has also given me a great deal.

In terms of goals and priorities, I am greatly impressed and motivated by the success stories of individuals who particularly excel in their chosen fields and at the same time, they were able to manage a family who has a God-fearing, responsible, and well-disciplined children. With my vision of a secured family (in all aspects of life), I am motivated always to give my loved ones moral and financial support and protection, and by being a responsible wife, mother, and a public servant/worker.

I know myself well and I believe that a significant part of me needs to be worked upon. I have discovered that not many people strive for excellence in all areas of their lives. Some are excellent in one skill and careless in others. Others give their best at work but are sloppy at home. I have always put high regard for my family and work and maintain the beam to stay balanced. I always give my relationships and career goals equal and prior attention. A balanced life is what everyone else needs.  I make sure to attend to all-important family affairs without compromising my duties at work. I make sure that jobs on deck are delegated, if not, I must accomplish the tasks before the scheduled vacation leave/leave of absence.

I know I am a good listener, and I am quite a talker, which means I don’t only speak when spoken to. I make sure to contribute my own ideas, but I keep quiet when others are speaking. I think listening is a greater expression of love and concern. When I am in a group, I classify myself under the “laughing section” joining others having a showdown of good, clean humor. I am a perfectionist, such that I want to make sure of the things I am about to do, even the thoughts I am about to speak. A perfectionist in this case may be the reason why I am afraid to commit mistakes whenever I say something.  

There was a time when I was requested by a friend to answer a survey regarding Spirituality.  I was asked to rank these three: God, work, and family. This is what I answered: First, God; second, Family; and third, Work. I said God should always come first, followed by family, then work. I am not saying that work should be the least prioritized, but before work, God and family should come first. We live because of God's love and we work because of our family. God has been so good. Building a good relationship with God is a top priority for anyone believing in God; everyone should treat it as the most important task and as their major life event. If we do not have a normal relationship with God, then we do not deserve to be called believers—that is why establishing a good relationship with God is so important

Also, I am a nature lover. I believe nature restores and nature heals. In one study in Mind Organization (2007), 95% of those interviewed said their mood improved after spending time outside, charging from depressed, stressed, and anxious to calmer and more balanced. Other studies by Ulrich, Kim, and Cervinka (2012) show that time in nature or scenes of nature are associated with positive mood and psychological well-being, meaningfulness, and vitality.  I believe that the beauty of nature reduces anger, fear, and stress and increases pleasant feelings. It does not only make us feel better emotionally but also contributes to our physical well-being.

Discovering the inner me will make me pursue goodness in life, including my strong faith in my Savior, and of course excellence in work

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social media marketing and its unethical practices: Philippines context

  William A. Chan Jr Divine Word College of Laoag – Graduate School Abstract Social media marketing has become a rampant in the digital pl...